Walking in the mountains in winter can offer the most rewarding of days; a sense of achievement in potentially more challenging conditions and being able to cope with the constantly changing environmental conditions that snowfall will bring to even the most familiar of locations.
RAW Adventures can provide support and guidance to anyone wanting to extend their current summer walking experience to ascend our UK mountains in winter conditions.
New skills and knowledge will be discussed and introduced before and during a journey into the winter environment, taking into consideration the following principles:
- Understanding weather and avalanche forecasts
- Appropriate route planning for groups and individuals
- Introduction to and use of winter equipment and clothing
- Security in movement on snow covered ground
- Use of crampons and ice axe
- Avalanche awareness and avoidance
- Navigating in winter and safety considerations
No previous winter walking experience is necessary for these days, but you will need a good level of fitness.
Please contact us for more advice on kit and equipment required. We can base these days in Scotland for more reliable winter conditions or take advantage of good winter conditions in North Wales or the Lake District, as they arise.
From £155 per person for two days on an Open Date (see dates below – minimum 4 to run)
* See our special #LoveWinter discounts on 13/14 February - £140 per person (based on 2 booking at the same time)
From £80 per person per day for a Bespoke Date (minimum booking of 2 people from £160 per day individual cost)
Open Dates - Fort William, Scotland
13-14 February 2017 – #LoveWinter Special!
£140 per person if you bring another devotee with you (and free Valentine’s Treat!)
15-16 February 2017 – #WinterWomen Special – women-specific course
17-18 February 2017
25-26 February 2017
Bespoke Dates in North Wales, Lake District or Scotland
Based on availability and snow conditions.
You can also view Winter Climb Snowdon for more information.