RAW Adventures are pleased to announce official provision of guided race Recce Events for the September 2021 edition of the Dragon's Back Race®.
1 and 2 Day Recce Events to increase knowledge and confidence of the Dragon's Back Race® and help you train with other runners and have fun!
These Dragon’s Back Race® Recce Events will be managed by RAW Adventures, working in partnership with race organiser Ourea Events. RAW Adventures Director and experienced Mountain Leader, Kate Worthington has worked on the Dragon's Back Race® as part of its complex and dynamic event team in 2015, 2017 and 2019. Her Event Team roles have included managing the welfare of Runners and Event Team, developing landowner relationships, checking route access, monitoring mountain safety logistics and a member of the First Response Team.
Kate is also an experienced mountain runner, navigator and running guide and loves exploring mountainous places on foot. She is also a British Athletics Fell and Trail Leader in Running Fitness (FT LiRF) having completed a Fell Runners Association course and working towards her Fell and Trail Coach in Running Fitness qualification (FT CiRF).
Kate guided on every Dragon's Back Race® Recce Event in 2019 and has a detailed knowledge of the most up to date race route. She will also be joined by fellow qualified Mountain Leaders, who also have direct experience of either working within the Event Team or running the event as a participant.
All RAW Adventures Recce Event Mountain Leaders are keen mountain runners and racers, and competent in mountain navigation and personal running skills. You’ll have no shortage of advice and support as you prepare for your Dragon’s Back Race®.
This series of Recce Events have been designed to focus on where runners want to spend the most time – based on feedback from 2019 Recce Events. Some events are 1 Day itineraries, allowing you to be flexible with your own travel and accommodation planning. Some are 2 Day events, with organised accommodation in between, so long race days can be broken down into sections over consecutive days.
RAW Adventures will provide an excellent ratio of Mountain Leaders to allow safe and logical progression in the hills. These Recce Events are designed and managed as ‘guided’ events. Teams of runners and Mountain Leaders will move together; increasing levels of safety, the ability to manage transport logistics and timings and encouraging runners to find genuine ‘running partners’ and contacts for the 2021 Dragon's Back Race® and beyond.
1 Day Recce Event
Price: £85.00 per person
- 2-3 Mountain Leaders depending on group size/terrain
- Arranged car parking in an appropriate area (usually no charge)
- Transport logistics if required (to drop you off or pick you up from the running route)
- Group safety equipment and radio communications
- Valley support/driver and transport
- Planning and preparation to ensure the best route is achieved in forecasted conditions
- Excellent Dragon's Back Race® knowledge and advice
- A great running experience in Wales!
2 Day Recce Event
Price: £225.00 per person
Costs inclusive of 1 Day Recce Events PLUS:
- 1 x night accommodation in excellent quality hostels or bunkhouses
- Baggage transfer to overnight destination
- Arrangement of 1 x evening meal and 1 x breakfast option (costs paid directly on the event)
Event costs do not include:
- Personal running training or race kit
- Personal map and/or compass/GPS device
- Mountain running food/drink
- Day 1 evening meal (we have a mixture of self-catering, pub meals or catered options available)
- Day 2 breakfast (we have a mixture of self-catering or catered options available)
- Personal and travel insurance
- Towels and bedding (if not provided by accommodation)
When considering joining an official Dragon's Back Race® Recce Event, please refer to aspects of the Participant Declaration from the Dragon's Back Race® website, as the requirements to join a RAW Adventures Recce Event align with this:
I am an experienced off-road runner and believe that I have a reasonable chance of completing the Dragon’s Back Race® as it is described on this website, and declare that:
- I am capable of being self-sufficient and making safe decisions in the remote mountainous terrain;
- I have sufficient off-road running, mountain and ultra experience to understand the nature of the challenge;
- I accept full responsibility for my own safety and any injury sustained during the event. These are not the responsibility of the event organiser, their agents or the landowners;
- I know my limitations and I am experienced enough to make a reasoned decision whether or not to start the event and/or to retire from the event rather than jeopardise my own or other people’s safety;