This is an ever popular and demanding challenge event which aims to summit Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in one continuous effort.
Many groups want to make a ‘back-to-back’ ascent of the highest mountains in Scotland, England and Wales respectively and this has historically been made within a 24 hour period from start to finish. This requires careful planning, rigorous training and full commitment from all involved to meet the stamina and fitness requirements to ensure the best possible chance of success.
There are a few different itineraries that allow this to be possible and, through experience, we have found the following to be the most sustainable and successful.
This itinerary works on the basis that travel time will always be worked out at 10 hours (the average time taken). This means you have a tight 14 hours walking time to complete all 3 peaks:
We are happy to discuss how we manage the timings of the event, to maximise success and enjoyment.
11:00 Pick up from Glasgow Airport (or Chester early morning)
14:00 Shopping for pre-event food and supplies in Fort William
15:00 Start Ben Nevis from Glen Nevis
21:00 Finish Ben Nevis (hot or cold drinks available to purchase from Ben Nevis Inn)
22:30 Depart Fort William for overnight drive and sleep
05:00 Start Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head
09:15 Hot drinks/snacks can be purchased from National Trust Pop-up Café
09:30 Drive to Snowdon – stop en route for driver change/toilet stop
14:00 Start Snowdon
18:30 Finish Snowdon and complete 3 Peaks Challenge
Stay overnight in Snowdonia for dinner and to celebrate (Dinner, Bed & Breakfast included in cost)
10:00 Depart for Chester train station or Manchester airport (TBC) after breakfast
Why choose RAW Adventures?
RAW Adventures has excellent experience in organising and delivering the 3 Peaks Challenge to its highest standard; safely and responsibly. Kate and Ross have completed the full 3 Peaks Challenge over 50 times between them and we work with a number of trusted Mountain Leaders who are also very familiar with the routes and unique personal and physical challenges of this particular event.
RAW Adventures have also supported and provided information to the Three Peaks Partnership – a collaborative information service from those who directly manage resources and land on Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon.
Kate has also provided advice for the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) and their Challenge Events in the Hills guidance.
BBC Radio 1 Gregathlon: Pedal to the Peaks for Sport Relief
RAW Adventures and #TeamRAW Mountain Leaders were delighted to offer essential mountain safety advice and support for the BBC Radio 1 Gregathlon: Pedal to the Peaks for Sport Relief.
This massive, physical challenge saw BBC Radio 1 DJ, Greg James summit the 3 Peaks as well as cycling in between them...while the UK was in the grip of a cold, winter weather snap!
Talk about exciting...
We will listen to your requirements and give you the best advice possible on how to organise your event – this may involve bespoke costings or timings, dependent on your needs. As well as making sure your team stay safe and achieve success on Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, we are committed to the following principles when running this event:
- Making sure clients are as informed as possible about the training and preparation involved in the 3 Peaks Challenge - we won’t lie about how hard it can be!
- Matching client expectations with the reality of the classic event
- Giving advice on kit and equipment, food and drink, weather and mountain routes
- Placing experienced and local Mountain Leaders for each mountain
- Providing a ‘Event Leader’ who will walk all mountains and travel with you
- Providing professionally organised and driven transport solutions
- Providing sustainable options for refilling water for each mountain and during journeys
- Sourcing excellent and local accommodation and food where included in your itinerary
- Being sensitive to local communities with our timings and group management strategies
- Supporting tourism sustainability in each area we visit
- Promoting the use of reusable drinking bottles and negating the need for single use plastic bottles on our events
RAW Adventures pledges to donate £3 per person split between the following conservation organisations:
Conservation and path maintenance on Ben Nevis
Conservation and path maintenance on Scafell Pike
Conservation and path maintenance on Snowdon
Bespoke Event Costs
|Price:||£420.00 per person (minimum of 8 people)|
We continually review our 3 Peaks Challenge operations, in light of environmental good practice. Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, we are unable to confirm any dates for 2020 and are reviewing dates for 2021. Please email us now to register your interest and we can discuss your planning options.
- Pre-event support, Event Notes and advice
- Event safety and risk assessment
- Qualified Mountain Leader/s per mountain
- Group safety equipment
- Pick up from Chester station or Glasgow Airport
- Transport throughout the challenge
- 1x night B&B at end of event
- 1x 2 course dinner at end of event
- Drop off back to Chester station
- Professional Liability Insurance
We can also run the event over 3 days – to allow more climbing time for each mountain and longer rest periods to recover between each effort. Please contact us to discuss your requirements. Read more about RAW Adventures’ 3 Peaks Challenge advice.